Presidential papers of Lewis C. Sheffey
Scope and Contents
This collection of Lewis Cass Scheffey's papers, spanning
1918 to 1966, documents his involvement in various offices,
committees, and sections of the College of Physicians of
Philadelphia. The bulk of the papers date from 1955 to
1958, the years in which Scheffey was President of the
College. Also included in the collection is material
relating to his participation in nu•erous local and national
organizations.
Series 1 includes material relating to Scheffey's activities
as president, censor, and Council member, 1937-1965.
Included are presidential addresses and newsletters, Council
rules, minutes from Council meetings, and professional
correspondence. Among the correspondence are letters
congratulating Scheffey on his election to the presidency
and complementing him on his achievements in this office.
The papers in Series 2, spanning 1918 to 1963, relate to
three adainistrative divisions of the College of Physicians
of Philadelphia. The papers of the Library administration
consist of various reports, information on the library's
Medical Literature Service, and correspondence between
Scheffey and librarian Elliott H. Morse. Also of note are
the papers of the Liaison Committee (1956-1957), a group of
Fellows who met with members of the Philadelphia County
Medical Society to consider a controversial proposal to
combine the libraries of the two institutions. Included are
letters froa Elliot H. Morse, Samuel X Radbill, and
chairman John T. Farrell, Jr. Also present is a group of
published letters from Philadelphia Medicine which express
the opinions of those both for and against the coa•ittee's
proposals. Series 2 also includes papers from the
Historical Collections of the Library, including monthly
reports and copies of its journal, Fugitive Leaves.
Papers pertaining to the S. Weir Mitchell Associates Progr&11
are also included in Series 2. The S. Weir Mitchell
Associates donated funds to the library to pay for the
subscription prices of particular journals. In return, the
library placed a book plate in each journal to coameaorate
the donor. Scheffey himself was a S. Weir Mitchell
Associate; his endowment paid for the library's
subscription to the American Journal of Obstetrics and
Gynecology. A sample of Scheffey's book plate is included
with a letter sent to him by president Thomas M. Durant on
18 September 1961.
Series 3 provides an alphabetical listing of Scheffey's
papers pertaining to various committees of the College of
Physicians of Philadelphia, Included in these papers, which
date from 1955 to 1963, are reports, ainutes, ae11>randa,
correspondence, and miscellaneous notes and clippings,
Of special interest are Finance Coaaittee papers pertaining
to the Erlanger Garage, a parking garage adjacent to the
College that was purchased in 1957 to provide aaple parking
for Fellows attending College functions.
The papers in Series 4, spanning 1955 to 1961, document the
activities of various sections of the College. The Section
on Medical History is perhaps beat represented; included
are reports, invitations to aeetings, and t71>escripts of
lectures delivered by Scheffey and historical librarian W,
B, McDaniel II. Among the correspondence are letters fro•
McDaniel, chairman Samuel X Rad.bill, and Fred B. Rogers, all
of whom were especially active in the section. Aleo
included is a letter from noted physician Edward B.
Krumbhaar.
Series 5, spanning 1950 to 1966, includes inforaation on
various fund raising divisions of the College. Of special
interest are Scheffey's papers from the Building Fund
Committee, dating from 1952 to 1956, These records docuaent
the College's vigorous caapaign to raise fund• for an
expansion of the library and for other repairs to the
building on 19 South 22nd Street, Included in these papers
are frequent progress reports, pleas to Fellows for
donations, and nuaerous pieces of correspondence fro•
Richard A. Kern, chairman of the co .. ittee. Also present
are papers documenting the successful coapletion of the
project in May 1956.
Papers relating to the adainistration and award of various
prizes and lectureships sponsored by the College of
Physicians of Philadelphia are contained in Series 6. Thia
series, spanning 1953 to 1965, is arranged alphabetically,
and includes historical notes about the awards,
announcements of prize-winning lectures, and biographical
information about prize recipients, usually coapiled by W.
B, McDaniel II.
Series 7, also arranged alphabetically, docuaents Scheffey's
involvement with various local and national organizations
from 1948 to 1966, Scheffey, an active aeaber of the
American Cancer Society, received their gold medal in 1962;
clippings and photographs documenting this occasion are
included in Series 7, Also present are records from the
Council on International Visitors, a consortiua of
Philadelphia-baaed organizations that provided inforaation
and aid to foreigners visiting the Philadelphia area.
Scheffey, as a member of the committee on Medical Visitors,
played an active role in this organization.
Dates
- Creation: 1918 - 1966
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1955 - 1958
Creator
- College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Office of the President (Organization)
- Scheffey, Lewis C. (Lewis Cass) (Person)
Office of the President history
The Office of the President of the College of Physicians of
Philadelphia is first described in the 1787 constitution.
The constitution states that the President "shall have power
to call extraordinary Meetings whenever important, or
unexpected Business shall require, of which he shall be the
Judge", The constitution also states that the president was
authorized to call a special session when requested by at
least six Fellows. According to the 1834 by-laws, the
president was responsible for presiding at College meetings
and signing orders from the treasurer, but he could not
discuss any questions while in the chair except when
necessary to coae to a decision. This latter regulation was
dropped from the 1863 by-laws, and new responsibilities were
added in 1882, when the president was given "general
supervision of the affairs of the College" and was required
to present an annual address.
In 1886, due to the influence of president S, Weir Mitchell,
the by-laws were again amended. Mitchell secured the right
to be informed of all committee meetings and to attend them
if he wished, Another of Mitchell's requests, for a five
year presidential term, was never approved. The
responsibilities of the president re•ained •uch the saae
until 1914. In the by-laws of this year, the president's
duty of "sign[ing] all warrants on the Treasurer" was
omitted. 1925 marked a major change in the Office of the
President; in this year, he was granted ex-officio
membership in all standing committees and had the power to
elect most committee members.
The first regulation concerning the president's term was
instituted in the 1935 by-laws, which state that no
president aay serve more than three years in a row.
Additional changes in the Office of the President did not
occur until 1972. The by-laws of this year state that the
president must publish his annual address, subait a yearly
summary of ·the activities of the College, and "appoint all
standing committees and designate the Chairmen", with the
exception of the Noainating committee,
The president's term was again restricted in the 1984 bylaws,
which state that the president is liaited to one twoyear
tera. As of 1991, the president presides at meetings,
appoints coaaittees and defines their duties, serves as an
ex-officio meaber of all coaaittees, and has "all other
duties and powers usually pertaining to the office".
Lewis C. Sheffey biography
Lewis Cass Scheffey was born in Hartford, Connecticut, on 21
September 1893. He grew up in Reading, Pennsylvania, where
he held an after school job at a pharmacy. This early
interest in pharaacology led Scheffey to the Philadelphia
College of Pharaacy. After graduation in 1915, Scheffey
secured a position as an assistant pharaacist and began to
work his way through Jefferson Medical College. He was
awarded his M.D. in June 1920 and began a twenty-seven aonth
rotating internship at Jefferson Medical College Hospital.
After his internship, Scheffey became an assistant to Dr.
Brooke M. Anspach, Professor and Head of the Departaent of
Gynecology at Jefferson. In 1940, Scheffey succeeded
Anspach, and in 1945 becaae the first adainistrative head of
the combined Departaent of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In
addition to fulfilling the deaanding roles of administrator
and professor, Scheffey maintained an active private
practice.
Scheffey became a Fellow of the College of Physicians of
Philadelphia in 1945, when he was appointed to the Committee
on Scientific Business. After holding the offices of
elective counselor and vice president, Scheffey was elected
President in 1955 and served a successful three year tera.
After his presidency, Scheffey remained active in the
College by serving as a Censor and as Chairaan of the Ad Hoc
Coamittee on Bequests until his retirement in 1965.
Scheffey is perhaps best known for his involvement in cancer
research. His interest in this field began as early as
1928, when he established a pelvic cancer clinic in the
gynecological department of the Jefferson Hospital. He
collaborated with Dr. George N. Papanicolaou and Dr. Joe
Meigs in establishing the Inter-Society Cytology Council in
1952, and served as its president in 1956. Scheffey was
also an active member of the American Cancer Society; he
received their gold medal in 1962 in recognition of his
contributions to the study and diagnosis of pelvic cancer.
Throughout his distinguished career, Scheffey received
numerous awards and honors. He was elected President of
the Aaerican Gynocological Society in 1958, and in the same
year received the Philadelphia County Medical Society's
Strittmatter Award for distinguished service to Philadelphia
Medicine. He was awarded the honorary degree of Sc.D. from
Ursinus College in 1943, and received an L.H.D. from
Jefferson Medical College in 1959.
After suffering from a prolonged illness, Lewis Cass
Scheffey died at his home in Haverford on 13 March 1969.
Full Extent
2.0 Linear feet (5 document boxes)
Language of Materials
English
Custodial History
This collection of presidential papers of Lewis C. Scheffey
was donated to the Historical Collections of the Library of
the College of Physicians of Philadelphia by Mrs. Lewis C.
Scheffey on 15 January 1976.
The collection was processed and catalogued in 1991.
Genre / Form
Topical
- Title
- Presidential papers of Lewis C. Sheffey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States


