Records of the Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia I
Scope and Contents
The records of the Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia, spanning
1911 to 1960, consist of minutes and committee reports; correspondence
of Philip Dechert, President of the Babies' Hospital; a history
of the Babies' Hospital with a typescript staff manual; and
printed annual reports. The collection documents the history
of the hospital from its inception in 1911 to its dissolution
in 1948, and provides detailed records of its finances, activities,
and programs.
Series 1.1 contains an minute book, spanning 1912 to 1916, from
the Ladies' Committee of the Babies' Hospital.
Series 1.2 consists primarily of minutes from the Board of Managers,
spanning 1912 to 1950, and minutes of the Executive Committee,
spanning 1912 to 1921. These minutes contain reports from various
committees, including the Finance and Property Committee, the
Social Service Committee, and the Publicity Committee. Also
present are reports and minutes of the Comprehensive Plans Committee,
which was responsible for selecting and purchasing a lot for the
construction of the new Health Center Building.
In January 1918, a Special Re Organization and Scope Committee
elected to change the by laws and re structure the organization.
New committees were formed, including the Finance and Purchase
Committee, the Entertainment and Publicity Committee, the Medical
Administration Committee, the Property and Building Committee,
and the Business Administration Committee. Series 1.2 includes
both minutes and reports from these committees.
In the 1920s and 1930s, the minutes of the Board of Managers become
more extensive and highly statistical. The minutes from each
month contain an extensive financial report from the treasurer,
the Report of the Superintendent, and Hospital and Dispensary
Reports, which provide detailed statistics on the hospital and
its programs. Also included in Series 1.2 are minutes and notes
from 1944 that probably belonged to Philip Dechert; the minutes
are marked with Dechert's holograph notes.
Series 1.3 contains minutes from annual meetings of
the corporation, always held in May, and typescript copies of the
annual reports for the years 1939 to 1948.
Series 2 contains the 1944-1945 correspondence of Philip Dechert,
President of the Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia.
Included are original incoming letters and typescript carbon copies
of Dechert's outgoing letters. Dechert corresponded with officers
of the Babies' Hospital, including Superintendent Emily P. H.
Talbot; Vice President Howard A. Loeb; Secretary and Treasurer
George E. Nehrbas; Chairman of the Medical Administration Committee,
Norris W. Vaux; and Henderson Supplee, Jr. In addition to general
topics concerning the Babies' Hospital, the correspondence includes
materials relating to a study of public health nursing services
rendered in Southern Philadelphia.
Series 3 contains published annual reports (1916, 1922, and 1925)
of the Babies' Hospital. The reports contain numerous manuscript
notes; it appears that these copies were marked in order to
plan the annual report for the following year. Series 3 also
includes a typescript history of the hospital with a staff manual,
probably designed for visiting nurses.
Dates
- Creation: 1911 - 1960
Creator
- Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
In May 1911, the Committee on Child Hygiene and Public Policy
of the Philadelphia Pediatric Society held a meeting to address
its concerns about the high infant mortality rate in Philadelphia.
The committee recommended the establishment of a hospital designed
solely for the care of infants. Two months later, on 11 July
1911, the Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia was opened at the
Country Branch of Children's Hospital in Wynnefield, Pennsylvania.
The hospital was incorporated in November 1911, and Charles
A. Fife was selected to serve as its first president. The following
year, the hospital secured the use of the Presbyterian Hospital's
convalescent home in Devon for recovered babies who required
additional care.
In 1913, the Babies' Hospital opened a clinic, dispensary, and
milk station on 729 Lombard Street in the city of Philadelphia.
The clinic provided numerous services, including instruction
courses for expectant mothers. A Visiting Nurse Department
was established to send trained nurses into city homes to examine
babies and demonstrate proper hygiene and feeding procedures
to their mothers. The Lombard Street Dispensary was enormously
successful; the following year, another dispensary was opened
at 609 Addison Street. By 1918, this dispensary had moved to
larger quarters on Ninth and Pine Streets.
In 1915, a permanent home for the country hospital was established
in Llanerch, Pennsylvania. 1920 marked the opening of the Ethel
Burnham Worcester Memorial Cottage, a "seashore branch" of the
hospital located in Beach Haven, New Jersey. Despite this expansion
of hospital facilities, the main concern of the Babies' Hospital
was its social services, which emphasized preventive medicine,
good nutrition and hygiene, and the proper care of babies in
the home.
The progressive programs of the Babies' Hospital continued to
expand. To house its growing facilities, the hospital built
a six story Health Center Building at 7th and Delancey Streets,
which was dedicated in May 1921. The new health center contained
a dispensary, health and developmental clinics, prenatal clinics,
a dental clinic, and rooms for demonstrations and class instruction.
In 1948, the funds and resources of Babies' Hospital
of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Child Health Society were
merged into the Fife Hamill Memorial Health Center for Southeast
Philadelphia. The new organization was housed in the Health
Center Building formerly occupied by the Babies' Hospital.
When the Fife Hamill Memorial Health Center closed in 1960,
the Corporation of Babies' Hospital was merged with St. Christopher's
Hospital for Children.
Full Extent
3 Linear feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
English
Custodial History
The records of the Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia were donated
to the Historical Collections of the Library of the College
of Physicians of Philadelphia on 8 March 1984 by United Hospitals,
Inc., through John Butterworth, Chairman of the Board.
The collection was processed and catalogued in 1992.
Subject
- Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia -- History (Organization)
- Dechert, Philip (Person)
- Fife-Hamill Memorial Health Center for Southeast Philadelphia (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Title
- Records of the Babies' Hospital of Philadelphia I
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States


