Minutes of the Section on Ophthalmology of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Scope and Contents
The records from the Section on Ophthalmology of the College
of Physicians of Philadelphia consist of four volumes
(disbound) of minutes, recorded by the clerk, spanning 1913-
1927, 1927-1939, 1940-1952, and 1953-1963. The minutes
contain reports on monthly meetings, annual financial
statements, lists of members and their addresses, and
records of dues. The minute book from 1953-1963 contains an
additional mailing list, an agenda for business meetings,
and procedural instructions for dinner meetings.
The minutes from each meeting of the Section on
Ophthalmology are divided into two sections: "Scientific
Program" and "Executive Session". Listed under the
Scientific Program are the titles and authors of papers read
at each meeting. The minutes from the Executive Session
provide information about practical and financial matters.
Also traced in the Executive Session minutes is the
development of numerous committees, lectures, and awards,
such as the Zentmayer Award Committee and the Annual De
Schweinitz Lecture.
Of special interest are the minutes of 20 March 1913 and 18
March 1937, which document the Section's opposition to the
state legislature's consideration of certain "optometry
bills". Also of note are the minutes of 19 January 1928,
in which members express their disapproval of the term "eyephysician",
and the minutes of 18 December 1947, in which
the Section agrees to send one thousand dollars worth of
care packages to "needy ophthalmologists in Europe".
Dates
- Creation: 1913 - 1963
Creator
Biographical / Historical
The Section on Ophthalmology of the College of Physicians of
Philadelphia was instituted in 1893, the first Section to be
formed at the College. In 1890, Fellows specializing in
ophthalmology requested permission from the College to meet
once a month to read papers and discuss topics relevant to
their field. Although many Fellows were opposed to such
specialization, permission for the meetings was granted on
5 November 1890. On 16 November 1890, fifteen
ophthalmologists, including chairman William F. Norris and
secretary Edward Jackson, held their first meeting in the
College.
During the next two years, this group of ophthalmologists
developed into a distinguished organization. Many
significant papers were read during meetings, and members of
the group became influential figures in the
ophthalmological field. Because of the success of the
ophthalmologists, other Fellows became interested in forming
Sections; Edward Jackson became their spokesman. In late
1892, Jackson presented the College with a draft of rules
and regulations for the institution of permanent Sections,
and by April 1893, the College had formally approved his
proposal. The Section on Ophthalmology had its first
official meeting on 12 November 1893.
The rules for authorizing the creation of Sections of the
College first appeared in the appendix of the 1900 by-laws.
According to these rules, fifteen or more Fellows may
"organize[d] a Section upon some department of medical
science or practice" with the stipulation that their work
remain "wholly and only scientific". The 1990 by-laws state
that the Council is responsible for organizing and
discontinuing the Sections of the College. In addition to
electing a Chairman and a Clerk, each Section must establish
its own by-laws, provided they do not conflict with the
regulations of the College.
As of 1991, the Section on Ophthalmology of the College of
Physicians of Philadelphia remains active.
Full Extent
.4 Linear feet (2 half document boxes)
Language of Materials
English
Custodial History
The Section on Ophthalmology records were donated to the Historical Collections of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia by Harold D, Earnshaw on 14 April 1989. The records were processed and catalogued in 1991.
- Title
- Minutes of the Section on Ophthalmology of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States


